Yayoi Kusama

In 1929, Yayoi was born in Japan. Despite her parents' opposition, she was eager to pursue her love of drawing and painting. She continued to draw after her mother ripped up some of them. She created artwork using mud and used sacks when she was unable to purchase any supplies. She is often referred to as "the princess of polka dots." One thing you will notice about her artwork is that they all have dots in them. 

Yayoi Kusama recounts having a terrifying hallucination as a young child in her memoir. They all began conversing with her as she stood in a flower field. The blossoms resembled dots that continued beyond what the eye could see, and she felt as though she was self-obliterating' into this expanse of never-ending dots. Almost all of her later work was impacted by this strange event. (tate.org.uk)

Throughout her artistic career, she created a significant deal of artwork, many of which are distinctive and engaging. She is one of my favorite artists, and I like how fresh and vibrant her work is. She is an inspiration to many people, including me. 





Image from https://www.cntraveler.com/story/yayoi-kusama-is-bringing-her-infinity-rooms-to-new-york


https://www.tate.org.uk/kids/explore/who-is/who-yayoi-kusama

Comments

  1. What a frightening hallucination turned into wonderful works of art! I found reading about her really interesting. Great content for a post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting story! I love that she continued to create art even after her mother ripped up her artwork. It is so easy for children to give up on their artistic abilities when shunned by parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing inspiration! Thanks for sharing her story, I had never heard of her before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its clear to see how much you appreciate Kusama and her work/personality! Kusama's work is truly distinctive and interesting, and it's no surprise that she is a favorite artist for so many people. It's great to see how Kusama's work continues to inspire and influence others, including you Nourah.
    She has been on my radar for a while so I have seen her art pop up around me yet its interesting to get a backstory from a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nourah! I wanted to see her exhibit so BADLY when she was in my hometown Atlanta but despite going early, it was impossible to get ticket by that point, they had all sold out from people camping overnight outside the museum. My sister and her husband had gotten lucky earlier in the year by getting tickets from a friend. Based on their pictures, I could definitely see why her tour took off and became so popular. I hope to see her again if she comes back to the states.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chessboard by Germaine Richier